Filipinos Everywhere




When my mom and I were in Milanwe saw a Filipino flag across the street from the hotel we were staying at. It appeared to be some type of business or an office. I realized then that everywhere we went, we saw at least one Filipino, even in the less crowded, less touristy areas. 


Milan, Italy


We took the train from Paris to Mulhouse. It’s not a popular destination. It’s a small town in eastern France, away from the Paris crowd. So we were a little surprised to see a Filipina there, walking a dog in the town square. 


Mulhouse, France


While we were in Mulhouse we also visited another town called Colmar. This one had more crowd, mostly Europeans, Americans and Chinese. Nevertheless, we managed to see at least a couple of Filipinos, probably a husband and a wife, having their pictures taken by the fountain. 


Colmar, France


When we were done with France, we headed for Switzerland. We took the train to Basel and one of the train conductors was a Filipino. In Basel, we met a nice Filipino man from Maryland who was there for a work conference. We had coffee with him and his coworker. It was nice of him to offer to take a picture of me and my mom. 


        Basel, Switzerland          


Our final destination was Milan. I wanted to go to this water park not too far from Milan. It’s called Acquaworld, in Monza, Italy. I was fascinated by it because I have never seen a year-round, indoor water park in the US before. And not to mention it has a spa for adults. We thought for sure we were not going to see any Filipinos there, but we did! There was a couple in the spa who looked like they were on a honeymoon.


The spa at Acquaworld, Monza, Italy
 

I have a friend from the Philippines who is now living abroad. She told me over Facebook Messenger, “I admire you with all your adventures. I haven’t traveled alone, I’m too afraid.” And I told her, “You are braver than you think, didn’t you move overseas all by yourself?” Then, she replied, “Oh yeah, I did. You were right. I was by myself. I took the risk. I didn’t realize it.”

When my mother came to the US in 1983, she landed in Los Angeles. First time in a foreign land, more than 7,000 miles away from home, and only knowing one person in Northern California, she took a 6-hour bus from LA to San Francisco all by herself. If it wasn’t for her bravery, I wouldn’t be here right now writing this story.

Every Filipino who grew up in the Philippines knows that Filipinos are hard workers in nature, as portrayed by the Philippine map, a humble farmer, working in the field. The truth is, Filipinos are not only hard workers, they are also dreamers, adventurers, and most importantly ― they are brave. 
                                                       




Comments

  1. Kahit saan sulok ng mundo, may Pilipino❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you taking your time to make a comment. Salamat whoever you are 😊

      Delete
  2. It's happy to see co-Filipinos wherever we go. I really admired you both, such a brave person and with a good heart . Keep safe. God bless always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the comment and the compliment. Your time and thoughtfulness are greatly appreciated ❤️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in November

Hello

Tiny Discoveries