Caribbean Dream


   

My story started earlier than I thought, even before Venice. I used to see those Sandals Resort commercials on TV and just seeing that white hammock by the crystal clear turquoise blue water, gave me that longing to be there. I have not seen water that beautiful before. I never expected it would actually come true. It’s funny how things happen when you least most expect them. 

I won a free trip for two to Cancun. Of course, there was a catch. It was one of those timeshare trips. My new business was struggling and I didn’t have any extra cash to spare for a trip. (Like I said, it happens when you least most expect it). It was year 2008 and it was the first time I traveled abroad since I came to live in the US 23 years earlier. I went with my boyfriend. When we got there, the water looked even more beautiful in person than on the screen. It was like looking at a post card. 




We didn’t book any tours, we just planned to endure the timeshare seminar, stay on the beach and enjoy the all-inclusive amenities. We saw some jet skis next to our resort. We decided to rent one spontaneously. Some guy saw us finishing the ride and offered us a snorkeling tour for a reasonable price. 

The next morning, we took the taxi to the tour meeting location. Everyone got a speed boat and we were supposed to follow the tour guide somewhere in the middle of the ocean where the snorkeling was going to take place. Jorge, our tour guide tried to be funny. He called himself, “George of the Jungle.”


When we got to the snorkeling site, hesitantly, I got off the boat and carefully got in the water. I looked behind me and my boyfriend was not there. He stayed on the boat. I didn’t realize I already got too far from it to go back and find out what happened. I panicked. I have not been snorkeling before and I didn’t know how to swim. Sure, I had all the proper equipments, but I was still scared. Before I knew it, someone grabbed my hand...it was George, my tour guide. He knew I was lost and didn’t know what I was doing. He stayed by my side and guided me every step of the way. He didn’t let go until I knew how to do it on my own. I’ve discovered that I actually liked snorkeling. The fishes were so close to my face as if I could touch them. It was an amazing experience I would never forget. 

I realize now, that trip was the first step to giving me the courage to travel abroad alone and to travel farther. What a wondrous journey that first step has led to so far!


                                 

Comments

  1. Such a wonderful adventure and experienced dear sis. Beautiful scenery. Travelling will give you a lot of lesson and courage. Very true things happen when you least expect it. I also want to try snorkeling the thing is I am also not a good swimmer. Love your story, love your blogs. Thanks again for sharing your travel blog. Keep safe. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure. I’m glad you like them. Thanks for being so faithful in leaving comments 😊

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in November

Hello

Tiny Discoveries